AmeriCorps Seniors Senior Companion Program
Are you interested in making independence a reality for older adults? Serve as an AmeriCorps Seniors volunteer in our Senior Companion program.
Bring out the Best of America
Serve as a friend and companion to your older neighbors making sure they can live in their own homes for as long as possible.
The Senior Companion program focuses on providing assistance and friendship to older adults who have difficulty with daily living tasks or are simply looking for someone to talk with. Through this program, AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers keep seniors independent longer and provide respite to family caregivers. AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers report better health and longevity having served their community.
Senior Companions Serving Seniors:
- Are thoroughly screened through an interview process and background clearances before being assigned to an individual.
- Do not perform home health aide, personal caregiving, nor housekeeping duties.
- Visit for several hours once or twice a week, Monday - Friday.
- May use the local transit system when accompanying an individual, but are not permitted to use personal vehicles to drive the seniors they are serving.
What does a Senior Companion do?
Provides free assistance to older adults (60 and older) with various health issues or simply needing companionship. Supports socialization, helps prepare lunch, play a game, read, or accompany senior to events or appointments. Senior Companions are matched with clients according to needs, abilities, and distance.
How many hours/how much time do I volunteer?
Volunteers spend a minimum of five (5) to Forty (40) hours Monday through Friday during the day, generally between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, as agreed and scheduled.
How do I get started?
Contact the Senior Companion Staff at the B/S/S/T Area Agency on Aging, Inc. at 1-800-982-4346 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm for details and to schedule an appointment to learn if you qualify and for more details.
What do I receive for my Volunteer Service?
Senior Companions serving between 5 and 40 hours per week will earn tax-free hourly, meal, and mileage stipends- none of which will impact your eligibility for other local, state, or government programs (Does not endanger your Social Security Income, PACE, Rent Rebates…). Orientation and in-service training is provided, along with a free annual health examination.
Senior Companions can help you with:
- A weekly or biweekly friendly visit from a volunteer Playing cards or games
- Participating in hobbies
- Taking a walk
- Watching a favorite show together
- Help reading and sorting through mail
- Preparing a light meal
- Light help at home such as tidying up
- Escorting to medical appointments using BeST Transit, or SWCT
- Having a buddy at the Active Living Center
Senior Companions cannot help you with:
- Housekeeping, laundry, or household chores
- Assistance packing, moving, or downsizing
- Heavy lifting, including sorting objects that are large or heavy
- Removing items from the home (such as delivering items to a donation facility)
- Money management and budgeting
- Personal care (toileting, bathing, dressing, preparing or administering medications)
- Handling animals (walking, feeding, grooming pets)
- Climbing into attics or crawl spaces
- Giving you rides to doctor’s appointment or the grocery store
How Can I Serve?
Make Giving Back Your Second Act
Get involved and make a positive difference in your community. AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with organizations dedicated to helping others.
Who Can Serve?
AmeriCorps Seniors is open to individuals 55 and older.
How Can I Serve?
When you join AmeriCorps Seniors, you choose how you want to give back. Provide assistance to older adults and families. A friendly visit and companionship. Support socialization to allow seniors to remain in their homes.
veterans serve with AmeriCorps Seniors each year
hours served by AmeriCorps Seniors
AmeriCorps Seniors Benefits
Explore all the benefits of serving as an AmeriCorps Seniors volunteer.
Health and Wellness
AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers experience decreased anxiety, depression, and loneliness. 84% of volunteers report stable or improving health after one year of service.
Connect with others and be part of something bigger. 88% of volunteers who felt a lack of companionship reported fewer feelings of isolation after becoming an AmeriCorps Seniors volunteer.
See the daily impact of your service as you build on the skills you already have and develop new ones.
AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers often tap their wealth of experience and wisdom and channel it in new directions.
Some programs offer a modest stipend to qualified, low-income volunteers.
Most programs offer accident, personal liability, and excess automobile liability insurance.
Will my race, sexual orientation, or disability affect my application?
We are committed to the idea that everyone can serve. AmeriCorps Seniors program is an opportunity to learn about our differences while working toward a common goal. We strive to create an inclusive environment and offer reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities.
Do I need specific skills to apply for AmeriCorps Seniors?
AmeriCorps Seniors taps the skills and experience of its volunteers. In most cases, no specific skills are required.